Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Happy Birthday Mom!!!

Today is my mom's birthday and she is a very special lady.  Not only is she a great mother, she's my best crafting buddy!  We spend a lot of time together working on all kinds of projects, and she's always game for trying something new.  She also has crazy good sewing skills, which come in very handy when I get in over my head on some of my projects.  :)

My mom was only 17 years old when her own mother passed away, so I never knew my grandmother.  A few weeks ago, my mom was looking thru an old cookbook and a recipe card fell out.  It was for a Mayo Cake, and it was written out by my grandmother.  My mom was kind enough to give it to me, and I'm thrilled to have this recipe in my grandmother's handwriting.  My mom said she made this cake many times when she was young, and since green was her favorite color (and still is), she always iced it with green frosting.  So in honor of her birthday I used the recipe to make Mayo Cupcakes with green frosting.  :)

Happy Birthday MOM!  I love you!
Happy Birthday Mom!
Mayo Cake Recipe:
1 c. sugar
1 c. mayonnaise
2 c. flour
1 c. warm water
4 T cocoa
2 scant tsp soda
1/2 t. salt
1 t. vanilla
Moderate Oven (I baked at 350)

Happy Birthday Grandma! (YOUR daughter just woke us up for this!)

1 comment:

Sharon Marie said...

I have had cake made with mayo before--YUMMY! Rumor has it, that eggs weren't always available during World War II so mayo was substituted for them. Don't know if this is fact but it is an interesting thought and there aren't eggs in it. Thanks for the recipe.